- Are you currently in a serious relationship? I'm not even in a comedic relationship.
- What was your dream growing up? At one point early on I wanted to be a teacher. I expect that was when I still liked school
- What talent do you wish you had? Not so much a talent as sometimes wishing I wasn't tone deaf.
- If I bought you a drink what would it be? Cider if alcoholic, otherwise lemonade.
- Favourite vegetable? I probably should eat more raw carrot.
- What was the last book you read? The Klingon Gambit
- What zodiac sign are you? The fish one
- Any Tattoos and/or Piercings? Explain where. None and not likely to get any. The pain involved is enough to stop me, let alone the money.
- Worst Habit? Sitting here in front of my PC for hours on end probably.
- If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a ride? Probably not, offering to carry people seems to be looked on oddly.
- What is your favourite sport? I like ten-pin bowling and I'd like to spend more time with a bow and arrows.
- Do you have a Pessimistic or Optimistic attitude? Pessimistic
- What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me? Not realise it was you and possibly try to nap.
- Worst thing to ever happen to you? I spent a night being sick every hour. Realistically I've led a charmed life.
- Tell me one weird fact about you. I have the ability to support my body parallel to the ground supported only by head and heels.
- Do you have any pets? Not allowed them where I live, but I'd like a cat.
- What if I showed up at your house unexpectedly? I'd want to know why you were on the other side of the planet from where I think you are.
- What was your first impression of me? ...
- Do you think clowns are cute or scary? Neither, mainly they're strange.
- If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be? Make myself taller maybe.
- Would you be my crime partner or my conscience? Conscience.
- What colour eyes do you have? Brown
- Ever been arrested? Not even close.
- Bottle or can soda? Bottle, better value for money.
- If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with it? Put $1000 in my bank account and send the rest to the IRD to pay off most of my Student Loan. (Would probably give some of it to the church as well)
- What's your favourite place to hang out at? Church, or somewhere I can play board games.
- Do you believe in ghosts? No.
- Favourite thing to do in your spare time? I have too much spare time, what might be good things are now often time wasters.
- Do you swear a lot? I think I hardly swear at all.
- Biggest pet peeve? People that block doorways and corridors.
- In one word, how would you describe yourself? Agnomical.
- Do you believe/appreciate romance? Yes.
- Favourite and least favourite food? Favourite: Chocolate. Least: liver or curry.
- Do you believe in God? Yes.
- Will you re-post this so I can fill it out and do the same for you? I think this counts as a yes.
- If your doctor told you TODAY that you were pregnant, what would you say? "You should probably find out where the tests got mixed up."
- Do you trust all of your friends? Various levels of trust, but yes.
- Would you move to another state or country to be with the one you love? Not unless I was married/engaged.
- Do you believe that everything happens for a reason? Sometimes more than one.
- Can you make a dollar in change right now? A dollar IS change.
- Which one of your friends do you think would make the best doctor? I don't know that any would.
- Are you afraid of falling in love? Not of falling in love. Of things going badly afterwards.
- What kind of car were you driving 2 years ago? I wasn't driving then. I'm still not.
- Is there someone who pops into your mind at random times? Yes, and it's becoming annoying.
- What's your most favourite scar? I don't have scars.
- When was the last time you flew in a plane? Returning from Hillsong 2008.
- What did the last text message you sent say? I wasn't going to be able to get the magazines for a friend I'd thought I would.
- What physical features do you find most attractive in the preferred sex? Red hair, short stature, slim build, . . . .
- Fill in the blank. toDuj 'oS rol.
- What question should be asked here? How many of your "Friends" have you never actually met? (my answer, 1)
- If you were to wake up from being in a coma for an extended time who would you call? I wouldn't know anyone's number, so nobody.
- How many kids do you want to have? 2 or 3. How many my wife wants will be far more important.
- Would you make a good parent? In some respects.
- Where was your default picture taken? The RBC carpark.
- What’s your middle name? Owen.
- Honestly, what’s on your mind right now? Not a lot, most of the time I'm just killing time.
- If you could go back in time and change something, what would it be? Either the lack of effort I put in at school, or the failed romantic relationship.
- Who was or will be the maid of honour/best man in your wedding? Depends on how long from now it is. I don't have a lot of long term friendships.
- What are you wearing right now? Trousers, ST:TNG t-shirt, hoodie. All in black.
- Righty or Lefty? Righty.
- Best place to eat? Home. I actually have an appetite here.
- Favourite jeans? Blue, well worn.
- Favourite animal? Kitten.
- Favourite juice? Pineapple.
- Have you had the chicken pox? Yes.
- Have you had a sore throat? Many times.
- Ever had a bar fight? No. I've barely even been in a bar.
- Who knows you the best? Possibly Caz, possibly my sister.
- Shoe size? 7 UK.
- Do you wear contact lenses or glasses? Since age 2 or so I've worn glasses, and I'll never wear contacts.
- Ever been in a fight with your pet? No.
- Been to Mexico? No, nor am I likely to.
- Did you buy something today? Yes, food.
- Did you get sick today? No. Didn't feel great though.
- Do you miss someone today? Everyday.
- Did you get in a fight with someone today? No.
- When is the last time you had a massage? I haven't ever had one.
- Last person to lay in your bed? Me.
- Last person to see you cry? Probably my father.
- Who/what made you cry? Death of my maternal grandmother.
- What was the last TV show you watched? Top Gear.
- What are your plans for the weekend? Relax, Church.
- Who do you think will re-post this?
- Who was the last person you hung out with? Amy L, Sam, Catherine, Melissa.
- When was the last time you went out for a nice dinner? And actually ate normally? It's been far too long to remember for sure.
Person you got mad at? My ex?
Person that got mad at you? My ex?
Thing you put in your mouth? Apricot Fruit Cereal Bar
Thing you said out loud? Some sort of greeting
Song you heard? Something on Rhema
Time your heart was broken? January 2007
Nickname you were given? Gurple
Time you worked so hard you thought you were going to die?
Time you fell in love? September 2006
Text you got? Reminder about games
Text you sent? Turning down work.
Wish you made on a star?
Do you love? Family, a few friends
Do you hate? I don't care enough to hate
Can you never live without?
Frustrates you the most? Me
Would you take a bullet for? Depends on where the bullet would go. And how much time I'd have to think first.
Can make you laugh even if you're about to cry?
Did you do last night? Played board games
Will you do tonight? Watch Mythbusters (and maybe Zorro)
Were you doing three months ago? Playing Stone Age
Is your ringtone? Ibiza Party, it came with the phone.
Is on your mind? Not much
Do you hate so much that it makes you angry?
Would you never do, even for a billion dollars? Pretty much everything I wouldn't do for $1000
Was the last injury you got? Paper cut?
Are you wearing? Jeans, NaNoWriMo t-shirt, jersey
Is wrong right now? I'm alone
Should you be doing? Cooking or eating probably
Are you? My room in the dark
Is the person you like? I don't know, probably at her home
Do you live? In a flat
Do you wish you lived? My own home
Is your place in the world? I don't have one
Do you feel most comfortable? Church?
Will you never go again? Home again
Are you taking this survey? Boredom
Is the world so corrupt? Sinful pride
Is the sky blue? The refraction index due to the size of the atmospheric particles.
Are you feeling right now? Cold and a little bit hungry
Long can you hold your breath? Maybe as much as 90 seconds
Much time do you waste on facebook? Too much.
Is your heart? Beating
Far would you travel for the one you love? Hard to say
Would you like to spend all of your time? Playing games with friends
SPELL YOUR NAME
Without any vowels? Grth Wn Rynlds
Backwards? Sdlonyer Newo Hterag
SEVEN THINGS YOU WILL FIND IN YOUR ROOM:
7. Game boxes
SEVEN RELATIONSHIP QUESTIONS:
1. Do You Like Anyone? Yes
2. Does Someone Like You? I don't know
3. Last Kiss? More than 30 months ago
4. Been Lead On? Don't think so
5. Been Cheated On? Doubt it
6. Want A Relationship? Yes
7. Wanna Get Married? Yes
SEVEN THINGS YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT:
1. Computer (internet)
SEVEN THINGS ON YOUR MIND:
1. The need to find a proper job
2. Feeling bad about not going to see my sister this year like I'd intended
3. What game I'd want to buy next
4. How much I should be eating
5. Whether or not I'm missing "signals"
SEVEN OTHER THINGS - DO YOU
1. Believe In God? Yes
2. Have Dreams Come True? No
3. Read The Newspaper? No
4. Get Enough Sleep Everyday? Almost never
5. Have A Best Friend? Not really
6. Take A Bath Daily? No
7. Wish On Stars? No
SEVEN HAVE YOU EVERS
1. Fallen In Love? Yes
2. Kissed Someone Of The Same Sex? No.
3. Hooked Up With Someone Who Had A BF/GF? No
4. Been To A Bonfire? Yes.
5. Ran Away From Home? No. (But I did stay away a lot longer than I should on at least one occasion.)
6. Played Strip Poker? No.
7. Pulled An All Nighter? Yes.
SEVEN THINGS IN THE LAST 24 HOURS - HAVE YOU:
1. Cried? No
2. Had Fun? Yes.
3. Been Kissed? No.
4. Felt Stupid? Foolish, but not stupid.
5. Talked To An Ex? No.
6. Missed Someone? Yes
7. Listened To Music? Yes.
RED : ANGER
1. Are You Currently Mad At Someone? Not really. I've lost the will to care about it.
2. Which Of Your family Members Has The Worst temper? No idea
3. Have You Ever Thrown Something At Anyone? Yes.
4. Does Your Face Turn Red When You’re Angry? I don't know, probably
5. When You’re Mad Do You Prefer To Stare Angrily Or Yell? Stare
ORANGE : EXCITEMENT
1. Has Anyone Ever Thrown A Surprise Party For You? No.
2. Are You Easily Excited? No
3. What Event Is Coming Up That You Are Looking Forward To? Hanmer Springs games weekend
4. If You Won A Million Dollars, What Will Be Your First Thought? No more work.
5. What Would Make You The Happiest Right Now? A good job offer
YELLOW : SELF DISCOVERY
1. Full Name: Gareth Owen Reynolds
2. Birthday: 18 March 1981
3. What’s Your Main Goal In Life? I don't have one
4. Do You Want To Have Children? Yes
5. How Do You Want To Die? While sleeping
BLUE : SADNESS
1. When Is The Last Time You Cried? Really cried? My grandmothers death.
2. What Is The Saddest Thing That Is Happening Right Now? No work?
3. Do You Usually Cry/Get Depressed When Something Doesn’t Happen Your Way? No
4. Has Anyone Made You Cry In The Last 24 Hours? No
5. When You Are Sad, What Do You Do? Hide away from people even more than normal.
PINK : LOVE
1. Do You Have A Crush On One Of Your Friends? Not a crush.
2. Do You Believe At Love At First Sight? No.
3. When You See Your Crush, Do You Act Differently Around Him/Her? I don't have one.
4. Do You Have A Girlfriend/Boyfriend? No.
5. Do You Believe Everyone Has A Soulmate? No, I don't believe anyone has a soulmate
- Available: Technically yes.
- Age: 27
- Annoyance: People not saying what they mean.
- Animal: Feline
- Beer: Avoid
- Birthday: 18/3/81
- Best friends: I don't see enough.
- Body part on opposite sex: Matches the letter here.
- Best feeling in the world:
- Best weather: Sun.
- Been in love: Once.
- Been on stage: A few times.
- Believe in magic: No.
- Believe in God: Yes.
- Believe in Santa: No.
- Candy: Pods are good, M&Ms are better.
- Colour: Blue or purple.
- Chocolate/Vanilla: CHOCOLATE.
- Chinese/Mexican: Chinese.
- Cake or pie: Cake.
- Continent/Country to visit: Europe/England.
- Cheese: Sometimes.
- Day or night: Depends on the event.
- Dance in the rain: No.
- Eggs: Occasionally.
- Eyes: Green.
- Everyone's got a(n): unique view of things.
- Ever failed a class: Many at Polytech.
- Full name: Gareth Owen Reynolds.
- Food: Soon to eat again.
- Greatest fear: I don't know.
- Goals: None.
- Gum: Avoid.
- Get along with your parents: Yes.
- Good luck charm: Don't believe in such.
- Hair Colour: Dark orange, but was recently purple and is currently almost non-existent.
- Height: 167cm or 5'7" one of those is accurate.
- Happy: When playing board games.
- Holiday: Board game weekend. Or the Church Camp.
- How do you want to die: In my bed while sleeping.
- Ice cream: Choc Bar.
- Instrument: Can play piano, slowly, as long as it's simple.
- Jewelry: None.
- Job: Labourer.
- Kids: One day, I hope.
- Kickboxing or karate: Both are too physical.
- Keep a journal: A LiveJournal.
- Longest car ride: 6 or so hours between Christchurch and Gore.
- Love: Someday again.
- Letter: ?
- Laughed so hard you cried: No, but I have laughed enough to have trouble breathing.
- Milk flavor: Banana or Lime.
- Movies: Sci-fi or comedy.
- Motion sickness: Not so much as I used to.
- McD’s or BK: Neither, I tend to avoid fast food now.
- Number of siblings: One younger sister.
- Number of piercings: None, nor am I likely to.
- Number: 13.
- One wish: To change my past.
- Perfect pizza: No such thing.
- Pepsi/Coke: Sparkling Duet.
- Quail: Doug.
- Reason to cry: Pain.
- Reality T.V.: Don't watch, apart form the first season of Survivor I don't think I have.
- Radio station: Rhema.
- Roll your tongue in a circle: No, can't do anything interesting with my tongue.
- Ring size: Never worn a ring to know.
- Song: Diamonds to Coal (Lost Dogs).
- Shoe size: 8, or thereabouts.
- Salad dressing: Isn't necessary.
- Sushi: Is okay, but nothing special.
- Slept outside: Yes, on camp.
- Skinny dipped: No.
- Shower daily: No.
- Sing well: I have been told by a five year old that I don't sing in tune.
- In the shower: No.
- Swear: Almost never.
- Strawberries/Blueberries: Both are good.
- Time for bed: 2300 or thereabouts if I have work the next day. Later if I don't
- Thunderstorms: Tend to be loud, and accompanied by rain.
- Unpredictable: Recently
- Vacation spot: Hanmer Springs, or Teapot Valley
- Weakness: many
- Which one of your friends acts the most like you: I don't think any.
- Who makes you laugh the most: None specifically
- Worst feeling: Illness brought on by stress.
- Wanted to be a model: No, too much attention.
- Where do we go when we die: Heaven/Hell.
- Worst weather: Cold, with snow and wind.
- X-Rays: My teeth, and once of my wrist.
- Exes: I wish I had none.
- Year it is now: 2008.
- Yellow: Jason.
- Zoo animal: Haven't really been to a zoo to form an opinion.
Take the last 12 people to have commented on your journal...
(Because most of my LJ entries made since I signed up at Facebook get copied across there some of the recent comments this meme refers to are from Facebook not LJ.)
- Camel (FB comment)
- JB (FB comment)
- the J man (FB comment)
Have you ever kissed 7 (akashasheiress)? I have kissed just one woman, that woman never commented on my LJ.
What's the best memory you have of 9 the (J man)? The time he came to my place before the 2007 World Cup final.
When's the next time you're going to see 4 (the_legionnaire)? No earlier than September, and probably a while after that.
Is 8 (shuffler) pretty? That is not a question I would ever had expected to answer. No.
What was your first impression of 10 (bstratton)? That is more than five years ago, I don't remember first impressions from last week.
How did you meet 3 (nightwlf)? arkore introduced us.
Is 11 (sister) your best friend? Oddly enough, yes. She is the one I'd trust the most, most want to see/spend time with, would do the most for; and that's a big part of what makes a person a friend in my mind.
Have you seen 5 (lenfant_de_jeu) in the last month? No, best guess is it's been about 8 years
Do you think 2 (JB) has a crush on you? If he does he's got a lot of explaining to do to his wife.
When was the last time you saw 12 (confusiontempst)? 2008 K.A.O.S. slave auction.
Have you ever been to 1's (Camels) house? A handful of times.
When's the next time you'll see 10 (bstratton)? Maybe October, if not then, maybe next year if I get around to travelling over his part of Australia.
Are you really close to 3 (nightwlf)? In no sense of the word.
Have you ever been to the movies with 4 (the_legionnaire)? I think we may have seen the same movie one night at the flat pondocus was in during 2005. But I am confident I haven't been to the cinema with her.
Have you ever gotten in trouble with 2 (JB)? I might have caused him trouble.
Would you ever go out with 7 (akashasheiress)? As a minimum I would have to know a lot more about her first. And be living in the same city.
What do you and 3 (nightwlf) talk about the most? What little conversation we've had has been about geek things I think.
Do you even know 9 (the J man)? Not as well as I'd like but that's not surprising when we lead quite different lives.
Would you give 3 (nightwlf) a hug? If he asked for one.
Are you in love with 12 (confusiontempst)? No.
Do you know a secret about 8 (shuffler)? I don't think so.
Describe the relationship between 9 (the J man) and 5 (lenfant_de_jeu). I can't say for sure that they don't know each other, but, I don't think they know each other.
What is the best thing about your friendship with 4 (the_legionnaire)? I get to see the world through a perspective very different from mine.
What is the worst thing about 1 (Camel)? I feel old when I spend time with her and her friends.
Have you ever danced with 7 (akashasheiress)? No
How long have you known 12 (confusiontempst)? Since November 4 2005
Have you ever been in a fight with 8 (shuffler)? I think that even at my angriest I'd be wise enough to avoid a fight with someone that could probably lay me out with one punch.
Have you ever been a co-worker with 6 (kelsall)? No, but I have no doubt that it would be an interesting experience.
Have you ever wanted to punch 2 (JB) in the face? He's not that annoying.
Has 1 (Camel) ever met your mother? I don't think so, but she may have seen my mother.
How did you meet 6 (kelsall)? Mutual LJ friends and my tendency to follow links online.
Did you ever accidentally hurt 5 (lenfant_de_jeu)? I think it best to just quote her answer to this about me "Not in my knowledge, but it could very well be something I have no realisation of."
What is the best memory you have with 2 (JB)? Most of the Wednesday night game sessions have been pretty good, but currently I think that the lengthy "Die Macher" game was best.
Do you live close to 7 (akashasheiress)? No, not at all.
What is 2s (JBs) favourite food? I have no idea, but I expect it's something that goes well with alcohol
Out of the 12, which one would you say is the funniest? I have no idea
If you could change one thing about 10 (bstratton), what would it be? He would be able to pay for me to come and visit him and his wife in their new house. (I cheat, that's two things.)
Say something nice about 11 (sister): She looks out for me, and has done so for more than a decade, even though she is younger than me.
Which one lives the farthest away? akashasheiress, almost the exact other side of the planet.
Which one do you hang out with the most? Probably JB, almost every Wednesday night and the odd weekend certainly seems like it'll amount to the most time.
Who is the loudest? I think that JB wins that contest
Who is the quietest? Almost certainly shuffler
Have you travelled anywhere with 8 (shuffler)? We've both been to Hanmer Springs as part of the same trip
If you gave number 9 (the J man) $100 dollars tonight, what would they spend it on? A nice present for his wife?
The deal is to answer each thing with EXACTLY three words.
Where is your cell phone? My bedroom table.
Your boyfriend/girlfriend husband/wife? Unmet, I think
Your hair? Orange and growing
Where is your father? Probably at home
Cheesecake? Best with fruit
Your dream last night? I don't recall
Your favourite drink? Schweppes Sparkling Duet
Your dream car? Would drive itself
The room you're in? Lounge at flat
George Bush? Illegally in power
Nipple rings? Ouch, no thanks
Who did you hang out with last night? Board Game Geeks
What you're not good at? Self motivating, flying
Your best friend? Do not have
Student loans? Are costing me
Where did you grow up? Gore, New Zealand
The last thing you did? Watched a movie
What are you wearing? Clothes, and blanket
Tattoo on the lower back? On me? No
Ketchup? Only on sausages
Your computer? Needs new battery
Your life? Should be different
Your mood? Affected by illness
Missing? Many, many things
What are you thinking about right now? Getting up early
Your car? Do not have
Your summer? Waiting for warmth
Your relationship status? Alone again, naturally
Your favourite colour? Blue, maybe purple
When is the last time you laughed? Sometime this week
Last time you cried? My grandmothers' death
Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow? Gone, going, imminent
High school? I miss it
One aspect of the site is the way everyone can tag their books. And from this comes a book meme with a slight difference, the 106 most unread books from LibraryThing users. (There is at least one other tag grouping that seems to be similar but isn't combined because there are somewhat different interpretations of what each tag means.) The thing I like about this list in comparison to most lists is that each of the people admitting to not having read these books actually owns the book (or at least probably intends to) so to some extent it could be considered a list of books people think they should read.
- Bold - Books I have read. (7 in total)
- Italics - Books I intend to read. (10 in total)
( 106 unread books )
- What is the longest range goal you have at this time? The only thing I can point to and say I definitively want is marriage and a family. A better job would be nice, more money would be good, but both are far less important to me. Oddly enough, I expect both of those will have to happen before the first does.
- What about you and food? I've never, so far as I recall anyway, had a big appetite. From an early age I can remember a couple of my younger (3-5 years) cousins being able to out eat me easily and still be hungry while I was full. When I started leaving my home (for social things instead of school or acquiring library books) at the end of my fifth form year I very quickly became aware of nauseous feelings. That made eating an unwelcome option while I was with people and so I almost never ate while I was out. Having found very few foods that I 'enjoy' is also likely to have had an effect on how much I ate in the past.
More recently I had to start cooking for myself again (during the 3+ years I was flatting on Field Terrace one of my flatmates did all the cooking) and with that have been doing all my grocery shopping as well. I probably don't buy enough fruit or vegetables and there's almost certainly more junk food than is good for me but I think I'm eating reasonably well. On some level I also feel that I can get away with it because I travel almost everywhere by foot and work a physical job.
- Is Christchurch home? Home is where the heart is right? Most of the people I have considered friends over the past five years are (or were) here in Christchurch. My parents live not to far away (and my sister is overseas so I won't be visiting her easily no matter where I might shift to). I have (what seems to be) a steady, if monotonous, job. Basically I have no reason to leave and a number to stay. Back in the middle of January I even went so far as to change my listed hometown on Facebook.
- Do you keep up with many of the high school crowd? She that asked these questions is probably the one person I have most interaction with from that group. My former best friend is the one that I most want to keep in contact with. But, on the whole, the answer is a definite No.
- What is one thing you would want to learn if there was no time/money problems? Time isn't a problem for me, in that sense anyway. I suppose I do have a problem in that I don't know what to do with myself a lot of the time. Money on the other hand is an issue but I can't really think of anything that I want to learn but can't afford. As soon as I figure out a potential career however that could change. Something I would do if money wasn't an issue is easier to answer, I'd go visit my Paternal grandparents in the UK. Either that or buy a house.
Just over three years ago I posted an entry mentioning the Birthdays page and how once you get 25 random people together there is a better than 50/50 chance that two of them will share a birthday. I feel no surprise at the fact my current LJ friends list has no doubles, 19 isn't enough people (it does get to almost 40% though). What I do find surprising is that the birthday calendar on my Facebook account has just one double birthday (of 55 people only one has not listed a birthday), and what's more, those two that share their birthday were born in the same year.
Bowling tomorrow, 1630 (unless I don't change it from 1600) and only two have said they'll come.
No matter what else happens I'm hoping that almost nothing goes the way it did last year. I was sick after breakfast, got soaking wet in front of 100 or so people (for my baptism so it was okay then), and spent a large portion of the afternoon at the A&E with a friend that was having eye trouble.
The banner did get made on Friday night. It took about an hour with only three of us there so it wasn't complicated. And though I did mention my new game I wasn't enthusiastic in suggesting it (not surprising really) and I don't think either of the other two really would have paid much attention.
I should have watched Casablanca on Sunday night, it would have been one of the movies off the IMDB top 250 (101_in_1001 item 90). After a few of us from R18 went to the Casino for $5 steak (only possible with a "players card"?) we headed back to the R18 leaders home with the intention of watching a DVD. It took a while before we sat down to watch it thanks to us talking some more and the inertia that tends to be present in our gatherings. About ten minutes in (maybe not even that) we paused it to get dessert and upon returning watched some of Top Gear. During that Steve seemed to be trying to arrange a game night for the week ahead and I indicated I'd probably be able to play whatever night he wanted. He then went and got the Catan boxes and I decided that I would rather play then than watch the DVD. We ended up having our first 5 player game of Cities & Knights for around a year or so I think, leaving only three people watching the DVD.
Tomorrow I should finish my first 40 hour week of work since getting back from Hillsong, the second since I was employed by PMP itself and only the third I'll have done for the year. (Although the first week after being employed by PMP was only 3 hours short because I wanted to attend a funeral.) Therefore I'm going to be 1/4 done with goal 75 unless I get sent home early. I've begun to think I might be well advised to alter the goal though, as I have no guarantee of five days of work in any given week. Maybe make it three months working every day there is work available?
( meme )
My subtitle is Change me if you can. because I realise that I have a lot of problems that I should be making efforts to 'fix' and other people are going to be more objective about seeing those things.
My friends page is called Interesting people because if I wasn't interested in what the people on it had to say they wouldn't be on it. (Hence the infrequent purges.) With almost none of my entries being friends locked there is almost no need for someone to be on my list before they read my journal.
My username is Avron because since I started using it as a pseudonym late in 1999 while at polytech I've tried to use it everywhere I maintain an on-line presence. (The word itself comes from the "Wheel of Time" books by Robert Jordan and in those books it means "Watcher" which is how I tended to be (and still typically am) in social situations.)
My default userpic is a cropped photo of me hanging upside down (as seen on this post) because it seems quite individual and reminds me of one of the best holidays I've ever had.
My LJ "name" is Gareth because I don't really feel any need to maintain anonymity on-line and my full name seems a little odd in certain places.
You are... 1% unique and 14% herdlike
(partly because you, like everyone else, enjoy video games).
When it comes to friends you are normal. In terms of the way you relate to people, you are wary of trusting strangers.
Your writing style (based on a recent public entry) is intellectual.
Your overall weirdness is: 23(The average level of weirdness is: 28.
You are weirder than 45% of other LJ users.)
Find out what your weirdness level is!
Four days of work at my new pay rate and under the new contract provides me with only $11.04 less than five days was providing me through the temp agency. Admittedly some of that is due to getting holiday pay paid immediately instead of having it accrue for use later. Regardless of that I'm unsurprisingly happy with the change. Not getting paid for ANZAC day isn't good however, I don't know whether it was an oversight on behalf of payroll or something else. I do know that I would have been paid for the public holiday if I'd still been with the temp agency as I got paid for both of the Easter holidays. Questions have been asked and I'm hoping to find out when I get back to work on Tuesday, I have a three day weekend due to insufficient work on Monday.
After managing to avoid needing to buy lunch for about a month (helped by the café not really being available for a couple of weeks) I have started spending money there again although it's not everyday and I think I'm still eating as much other food as I was. That may be helping me to gain weight slowly, something I get comments on from people in many areas of my life. Even if I do decide to make my lunch next week I still need to remember to take some money with me to work, my boss has told me I can have his old cell phone for $20 and as I'm beginning to see more problems with the one I've been using for nearly 4 years I may be due for something new anyway. (Even if it won't actually be a new phone.)
I now have just under eight weeks until I make my first trip outside of New Zealand, and only my fourth out of this island. I'm a little curious to know when the realisation of that will actually hit me, so far there doesn't seem to be anything. Actually having my passport arrive may be enough, although I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's only when I start packing properly that I lose the calm I'll likely have for most of the next eight weeks.
Now that there is a permanent account sale coming up I have to decide whether I'm going to want to save up and get one or simply get paid account time again.
( Do you think you can read my mind? )
I did get to play Ticket to Ride a couple of times last night. With someone new in addition to the two I played against on Saturday, which brought the number playing to 4, enough to change the dynamics noticeably. I then came home and played online against bots, managing to finish one of the games with almost twice the score of the second place bot.
My first couple of days at work since the change of status were as boring as they get, mainly because the job going through the machine has a print run in the order of 120,000 and I spent most of the two days I was working simply picking bundles of magazines up and moving them, either to the strapper or off of it and into the cage. Talking a little to those I was working with alleviated the boredom, especially when I've been trying to figure out whether I should or should not remember the woman that recently started there who apparently remembers me from primary school.
I did find out that I'll now be getting paid for my lunch breaks though, which means that even if I buy lunch I will be a little ahead money wise. After only having done 5 day weeks on four occasions over the past nine months I'm wondering how much of that I'll actually manage now that I"m likely to be expected to work that often. I'm also expecting my yearly income to increase by at least 50% from what it was during the last tax year. That's due to a few different things but the change should be noticeable as long as I manage to avoid buying DVDs, books, or anything else of a similarly collectible nature for me.
( Meme of ages )
- What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before? Played Carcassonne, attended a "Christmas in the Park" event, had a friendship end for a reason other than distance or drifting apart. Fell in Love.
- Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I made none, so any will be more.
- Did anyone close to you give birth? There have been a few births of people at church, some of whom I am close to.
- Did anyone close to you die? Not close to me, but a friends father died very recently
- What countries did you visit? None
- What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006? A full time job.
- What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? April 28, that's when I gave my life to God.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year? Giving my life to God.
- What was your biggest failure? Failing to make an effort to get a job.
- Did you suffer illness or injury? I damaged my lower back a little and also suffered some sort of viral infection.
- What was the best thing you bought? Carcassonne
- Whose behaviour merited celebration?
- Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
- Where did most of your money go? Rent, then food.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about? Love
- What song will always remind you of 2006?
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
- happier or sadder? Happier
- Thinner or fatter? Maybe a very slight bit thinner
- Richer or poorer? Richer, in that I have slightly less debt.
- What do you wish you'd done more of? Worked
- What do you wish you'd done less of? Spending time at my PC.
- How will you be spending Christmas? The actual day will be at my parents. Beyond that, not much is planned.
- Did you fall in love in 2006? Oh yes, without a doubt.
- How many one-night stands? None
- What was your favourite TV program? Stargate Atlantis.
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? No, but there are a few relationships more strained than they were.
- What was the best book you read? I have no idea which was the best, if you want to know what I read throughout the year go here.
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
- What did you want and get?
- What did you want and not get?
- What was your favourite film of this year? Cars, but that's largely because the only movies that I watched this year that I know were released this year were "Cars" and "The Guardian".
- What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I spent most of it with friends from church and I turned 25.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Having a job that didn't start at 6am
- How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006? Lots of black and grey. There was also blue.
- What kept you sane? I don' t know that I am still. I've been failing to do things that it should be easy to do and making mistakes elsewhere that I would not have a year ago.
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- What political issue stirred you the most?
- Who did you miss? My sister.
- Who was the best new person you met? My girlfriend
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006. Take risks. I don't know that I have actually learnt this but it was a factor in a couple of things.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Taken from confusiontempst
Part 1: The Birth of You:
Were you a planned baby? I don't know, or care.
Were you the first? To survive.
Who was present at your birth? I have no idea.
Were your parents married when you were born? Yes, and they still are.
What is your birth date? 18 March 1981
Part 2: The Family
How would you describe your family? Immediate: Small. Extended: Distant.
Are your parents married? Yes.
Siblings or an only child? 1 sister.
If you have siblings are you oldest, middle, or youngest? I'm the oldest.
What are your siblings names and ages? Mrs. bstratton 24.
Which parent do you get along with best? Mum.
What do you fight about? We don't.
Do you have step parents? No.
Part 3: The Friends
Do you have more than one best friend? I have just the one.
Who are your best friends? My girlfriend.
What do you like to do when you are together? Relax, talk, play games.
Do you share the same interests? To a large extent yes.
Which friend can you tell anything to? I can't tell anyone everything. I'm too private.
Part 4: Appearance
Are you comfortable with the way you look? Mostly.
Do you have any piercings besides your ears? Not even my ears are pierced.
Describe your hair: Short.
How do you dress? Well enough that most people aren't ashamed to be seen in public with me.
Part 5: The Past
Were you a strange child? I think so.
What did you use to love that you no longer do? Watching hours of TV a day.
Do you have the same friends? Since I finished at High School I am on to my second (maybe even third) set of friends.
Was there anything in your past that was traumatizing? The death of my grandmothers.
Part 6: The Future
What is your ambition? I have none.
Are you scared of growing old? I'm scared of not growing up.
Do you want to get married? Yes.
Part 7: The Outdoors
Do you prefer indoors or outdoors? Depends on the weather.
What is your favourite season? Summer.
Do you like walking in the rain? Not really.
Part 8: Food
Are you a vegetarian? No.
What is your favourite fruit? Pineapple, then crunchy pears.
What food makes you want to gag? ?
What is your favourite dessert? Ice cream with apple pie.
What is your favourite restaurant? I don't really eat out.
Are you a fussy eater? I don't think so.
Part 9: Relationships and Love
Are you single or taken? Taken.
If taken who is the lucky
Do you think love is the best feeling in the world? I've never felt anything better.
Do you believe in love at first sight? Lust, yes. Love, no.
Part 10: Experiences
What was one of your greatest experiences? Falling in love.
What was one of your worst? My viral infection.
Have you ever done drugs? Nothing besides alcohol.
Have you ever thought you were going to die? Not seriously.
Have you ever suffered from depression? Probably.
Sunday afternoon I watched most of The Magnificent Seven with two of my flatmates until guests arrived and spent most of the the time we had guests with one of them.
Monday night the first of the newly split R18 sessions occurred. At least until the end of the year every second week is going to see people meeting in smaller groups and having somewhat more organised studies than were happening at the big groups. Just before going to bed that night I was informed by someone I had been quite close to for a few months that she wanted nothing more to do with me. This means that I am now dealing with the first ever breakdown of a friendship to occur without the two of us drifting apart gradually (or because of suddenly imposed distance).
Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons I headed to the church to see about setting up a database and talked for a little while with one of the pastors there about the friendship breakdown.
Today I was surprisingly cheerful while at work, especially considering it was Skywatch again and thus, very, very boring. Since getting home again I haven't done much besides finally watch To Kill A Mockingbird which I've owned for several months.
Yet another meme.
- Single or Taken:
- Favourite Movie:
- Favourite Song:
- Favourite Band/Rapper/Artist:
- Favourite Book/Comic Book:
- Tattoos and/or Piercings:
- Favourite TV Show:
- Favourite Video Game/Board Game:
- Do we know each other outside of Livejournal?
- Would you give me a unicorn?
- Tell me one odd/interesting fact about you:
- If you could change anything about your current life, would you?
- Will you post this so I can fill it out for you?
- Post a picture of you:
It's now been 10 days since I had any work available which has led to me sleeping later than I should have been. At least half the days over that time have seen me waking around noon if not later. A minimal cause for that has been me chatting online most evenings with a friend, something I have rarely done in the past.
Even without work I have been out of the flat every day this week except Tuesday. Last Sunday I went to church both morning and evening although I left the evening service almost as soon as it was over to try and get home in time to watch Underworld. Monday night was the first R18 meeting we've had for quite some time thanks to Alpha and changes are on the way. Wednesday night I was at a very different 21st to what's happening tonight, much more my sort of thing. Thursday I went and paid my phone bill and bought more junk food at the supermarket, getting some of that new, tiny money in the process. Friday night arkore, shuffler and myself went out and played a game of Cities and Knights which Steve won and a game of Carcassonne in which shuffler and I tied for the win.
The Friday Five - 4 August 2006
- How much time do you spend on the Internet daily? If I don't have work, it's as much as twelve hours or more. If I do have work (or church) it's somewhat less than six.
- What are your favourite 3 websites? AsoBrain games, Memory Alpha, and the combination of All Consuming and Lists of Bests.
- Do you eat at your computer? Yes, and it's probably a good thing as well. I'd almost never eat if I didn't eat while here.
- Pick one and why - Reading the news online or in a newspaper? I don't really have much interest in the news either way but I'm more likely to read the news in a newspaper, mainly because it's there when I take my lunch break at work.
- How many people are on your instant messenger buddy list? Which list? I've got 24 on MSN (only half a dozen or so actually get talked to), 9 on ICQ, 5 on Yahoo and 3 on AIM. There's also 2 on my Skype list but without a working microphone I don't use that.
- I have the ability to hang upside down suspended solely by my feet. I haven't yet been inclined to try it without shoes though, so footwear probably has some bearing on my ability.
- I haven't had a girlfriend at any point of my life, not even at primary school. I have never even had a date. (Regardless of what some people seem to think about the time I spend with certain female friends.) 2006-9-14 Edited to add. That's no longer true. I am now in a wonderful relationship with a beautiful woman. 2007-01-14 Edited a second time. I was dumped yesterday.
- I like to categorise/organise/record things. As proof, I spent more than three hours (largely concurrent with watching Underworld) creating this list at Lists of Bests Sunday night. And then ensured I had logged the last time I had read each of those books. I've done the same for Star Trek: Voyager books and will continue with The Next Generation and the Original Series over the next week or two I expect.
- A lot of the time I would rather be taking care of children than interacting with people closer to my own age. This may be because there is far less expectation for me to talk with children.
- I feel practically no need to hide my life from the strangers I meet on line, or even those people that I don't meet. If I lived alone my address, phone number and other things of that nature would probably be available wherever I was asked for such.
- Back when I first started attending a youth group (late 1996 / early 1997) the ice-breaker on one of my first nights was to see how long each individual member could support themselves with just their head and feet resting on chairs. I remember managing at least a minute, significantly longer than anyone else that tried.
- I almost never ask anyone questions about their life, how they feel, or anything else in the way of small talk. This is significantly because I can't get beyond the feeling that it's intrusive and none of my business. I don't have any problem with people asking me those same questions however. Nor do I have any problem listening to people talk about such things, I just don't ask the questions.
- I am almost constantly aware of a dichotomy of belief existing in my head. Simultaneously feeling two very disparate things about the situations I'm in.
That being ill actually occurred while I was out last night to play games like I tend to do most weeks. It's the first time in quite a while that I've been physically ill especially when how often I feel ill is taken into consideration. Much like most of the other times I recall, within about five minutes of being ill I started to feel almost normal again, and so we finished the game of Cities & Knights that had been interrupted by me leaving the table and once that was done had a game of Carcassonne. Of which I won the first and lost the second. I still haven't had the opportunity to play the Inns and Cathedrals expansion since receiving it on my birthday though. Maybe this long weekend, Steve indicated an interest in getting together again as he doesn't seem to have a whole lot going on either and games can take up quite some time.
I managed three days of work this week. Unfortunately, as I missed today because of the near complete lack of things happening, I won't be getting free money for the holidays we are about to have. I have probably been scheduled for Tuesday but I'll ring and check over the weekend, showing up at 0600 and having to turn around and walk home right away would be annoying after a nice relaxing weekend.
arkore has been kind enough to allow me very limited use of his foreign monies, I now have a paid account again after around 18 months. This weekend may see too much time finding out how much that allows me to do again. More likely though, I will simply post the occasional poll and spend too much time on my friends of friends page. That's what I remember happening last time.
( I don't really know what to make of these memes. )
I worked most of this week and was fortunate enough to spend three of those days largely at the machine I'm happiest working at. With one of the usual permanent staff in Australia I was today left to do the 'hardest' job of those at the end of that machine and managed to spot most of the issues in time which was pleasant. The actual work itself wasn't quite so pleasant, what I've normally done there seems easiest to me and the fact I was asked to swap from what I normally do on Tuesday indicates that I'm not the only one. The movement of machines is seemingly now over apart from the installation of the new binder. Considering that the old binder was purchased second hand and has been in use since that purchase for almost as long as I've been alive it does need replaced.
Book reading is actually happening to some extent recently, I borrowed four books from the nearest library at the beginning of the month and I have started the third of them. Either listening to podcasts at the same time I'm reading is keeping me from feeling the need to do other things or the desire to read is simply on it's way back. I think the amount of time I'm spending at my PC is going down in other ways as well, my TV watching has recently spiked a little and may continue for a while.
I haven't got a whole lot to say right now but I had just came across this meme in a friend's blog when I decided to post and it seemed somewhat accurate, apart from where Chemistry ended up and the fact there isn't a Physics result on the list.
( What is your Perfect Major? )